Friday, August 28, 2009

What time is it?

The music of 'The Doors' haunts me sometimes and I don't really know why. I think the recollection of that whole era of the 60's is kind of dark to me. It was a powerful world changing- consciousness raising decade for sure....nonetheless I remember what seemed to be a lot of overcast gray days. I guess that's why The Doors music is appropriate...it's not dance music that's for sure...it seems to capture a lamenting wail of that time...trance like.

Fashion wise the 60's detonated with color, you could do no wrong. Bellbottoms, 'Beatle-boots' or sandals, wide belts & lapels, paisley shirts. And man the hair! The afros, long and braided, sideburns, beards, we REALLY let our hair down then no doubt. Everything seemed far out and very groovy in the world of fashion.

Out of this came an experimentation with drugs and other types of mind altering meditations and even religions. Something wasn't right spiritually it seemed and we were out to fix it and change things.

We wanted to be any place but where we were....there had to be something else and we were going to find it and there we would find ourselves. Oh yeah that was huge in the 60's, everybody was out to find themselves. If only we would have had Facebook or Twitter or Myspace then....we would have found ourselves even sooner and saved years of time.
I conclude that it wasn't really about finding anything it was about as it always is -the search.

The 60's was about searching. Life is about searching I think. Searching for answers. Answers to what? Well whatever personal questions you have about your life. Ever meet somebody who thinks they have all the answers? Alarms should go off in your head, they do mine.

Here's one of the questions I have coming out of the 60's...how the heck does a mood ring work? Is it just heat sensitive or did it read your moods? And why did we think for a minute a Slinky would be entertaining? Fun for girls and boys?? Nah!! Ever see a girl with a Slinky? Doubt it...about as often as you saw a girl with a GI Joe probably. Slinkys was guy stuff.

Enough about the 60's...I'm gonna go put on the "Hair" album. Yes ALBUM! A big round plastic thing that a needle sits on and plays. And speaking of that there's a lost art form...album covers.
I loved albums. Any hippie worth his incense knows what an album cover was good for. ;)

Have a nice day.
uncle hippie

**You know I can't even say the word disco without my gums starting to bleed.

www.twiitter.com/chilichallis1
www.standupschool.com



No comments:

Post a Comment