Thursday, August 20, 2009

Playing Favorites

Do you play favorites? Do you have a favorite food, color or favorite anything? I reallly don't. It's always an odd question to me when someone asks what is my favorite (blank). The truth is I like a lot of varience in my foods, colors and many effects.

I have written and performed stand up comedy for almost 30 years and many times I am asked who is my favorite comedian or type of comedian. My most honest answer is I don't have one. Steve Martin and Richard Pryor come closest to filling the role of favorite but I have to say I like Steven Wright, Jackie Mason kills me, Bill Hicks of course and yes even Carrot Top.

Comedy is comedy to me. I like some physical comedy, props make me laugh as well as the more ingenious pop culture and political stuff. Anybody funnier than Louis Black?!! He's hysterical on many topics. The first time I saw Pee Wee Herman I thought I was going to whiz in my pants!
Sharp, bold, brainy, clever comedy really gets me and in the experience I have cultivated that takes many forms.

So back to the playing favorites. My thought has been that if you are hard and fast on a favorite you're automatically dismissing too much. I want it all ;) I guess my favorite is in dissimilarity, multiformity, MIXED BAG lol I suppose. I love too many sorts of foods to have a fav. Too many colors and combinations. I don't want a hard and fast area of thought and tastes I want dimensions!
Viva La no limits! FREEDOM.

Here's a experiment you can do. (Hippies are crazy about experimenting you know)
Even when you can get a favorite anything of yours simply try something else. I know it's crazy but see if you don't find the exposure to difference exciting.

just some thoughts. peace
chill -uncle hippie

**I was doing my usual flexing in front of my mirror today and dang if I didn't hit the car in front of me.

You can follow me on Twitter if not already. www.twitter.com/chilichallis1

No comments:

Post a Comment