Thursday, August 13, 2009

Beliefs, permanent records...and self help.

Do you have beliefs you follow that you don't know exactly how they got into your psyche? They're little bits of knowledge that you learned though somebody or spiritually or somethin'. Is it possible there is a little belief fairy that whispers in our ears when we're asleep? Maybe we were listening to our parents after all even though we were trying desperately to ignore them? However these little tiny gray matter beliefs get into our conciousness and thrive. I have them- most people do.

They can be about the smallest strangest things too. 'Don't wet your toothbrush before you start brushing'-anybody have that belief? Is it right? Is this for real? What happens if I do wet my toothbrush before brushing? Will the dentist know? Will this go down in my permanent record?!! Oh god not the book of guilt where all my mistakes are written and will be exposed to everybody one day?!! How many people had that belief? I did. I dropped it somewhere in college...I believe.

'Never speak ill of the dead'-that was a commandment belief in my family. I broke it on more than one occasion. If somebody was terrible or evil in their life I wouldn't go out of my way but if pushed I would say what I really thought of them. I figure it can't get much worse for them...they're dead. Of course some people believe that it can get much worse in the afterlife.

Ever thought of these beliefs before? It's a great way to explore yourself and absolutely a necessary thing to do if you're a writer or perfomer. My guess is beliefs are powerful landmines of conciousness that are true for the most part only because of history. Truth through repetition!

Here's my thinking...if beliefs are so strong what if we placed our own positive beliefs in our conciousness now would it help later? Sounds possible doesnt' it? Maybe we could rewrite our permanent record to the more positive side?! Hmmmm...I may have to light some incense and meditate on this a while. I must be on to something -my mood ring is showing calm. Always a good sign- I believe.
peace

No comments:

Post a Comment