Monday, August 31, 2009

I just try to get laughs.

You know I hope I never become one of those comedians that is too hip for the room. I hope I never do my show while talking to my opening act about what bits I should do as if the audience seated right there in front of me doesn't exist. I hope I never have to rely on the F word to make a joke funny. I witnessed such a show this weekend at a club I frequent when not performing. It was terrible.

When I do my stand up I try to not only deliver opportunites for hard laughs but maybe deliver a positive message or two as well. I've always been a performer that wants the audience to leave my show like they've been on a roller coaster ride and feel as if it was money well spent to see me. I have a sense of responsibilty towards an audience- sue me!

I don't get this anti-comedy thing going on in some comedians performance. Clever or witty is not good enough! Nobody gives a crap about your politics! It's not unhip or hack to simply get a laugh!

I am glad I have a stand up class to teach today. I can tell my students to go for jokes and real material. I will teach them that posturing and posing is NOT good enough. Watching a irresponsible and selfish comedian is all the motivation I need to help push for the better art.

Some comedy clubs wonder where the audience went. Well I saw some of them leave when jerko mr cool was on stage. It breaks my heart. I grow weary of seeing such all to common of displays in stand up these days. The inmates are fully in charge of the asylum.

No matter what job you do you should always take responsiblity to see it is done well and to the best of your ability. It's a simple creed.

I will be performing at the Comedy Showcase in Ann Arbor this weekend. I can't wait. The audience there is due a good show. www.aacomedy.com for details.

Have a nice day.

chill

www.standupschool.com www.twitter.com/chilichallis1








No comments:

Post a Comment