Friday, October 2, 2009

Friday on the road.

It's Friday! tgif I guess. For me it means more work. I'm in Cleveland Oh area working a comedy club which means I will do two shows tonight 8 & 10pm. That's after early morning radio this past Thursday and today. Tomorrow I will do two more shows and even a morning comedy writing workshop at the club to help new guys and gals in the stand up biz.

I really like teaching/coaching and I'm really not exactly getting rich with it - many times it even ends up costing me money but I still love to do it and therefore that is the reason. The old saying "If you really want to know a subject teach it!" I profess to be true. I've learned a lot teaching comedy. I have learned that some new comics would rather not take a class and so continue to keep on making the same mistakes. I relate to that - I came up the hard way in stand up...it took me years to learn somethings that I can now deliver to a new student in a couple of hours of class time. I have gained a partial skill thanks to an inner eye for seeing talent and knowing where an act is going right or wrong. I can tell in an instant if a comedian is real or phony and usually help direct him/her to a new place where they can progress.

I completely understand that some new acts aren't on a fast track and actually like the process of the open mic nights and would really rather subconciously or not want to stay there. It becomes not a way of advancing but more of a way of socializing. I suppose you seek your own comfort level.

Teaching comedy and act refinements is a unique challenge and I've been doing them since the 80's. I think after all this time of experimentation and study I've finally learned how to do it well. lol

Happy Friday my brothers and sistas!! Uncle Hippie is at work helping people laugh a little. It could be worse. Peace.

Have a nice day. :)

chill aka uncle hippie

www.twitter.com/chilichallis1
www.myspace.com/chilichallis
www.standupschool.com



No comments:

Post a Comment