Monday, September 28, 2009

Do the work. The honest way to feeling good.

Making people laugh is not such a hard job, actually it's a wonderful cool groovy job. The satisfaction you feel on stage when a tidal wave of laughter rushes over is absolutely life giving. It's like you're plugged into a human electrical current that recharges you and everybody around you...the feeling is electrically awesome.

My wish is that everybody at least once in their lifetime would get an opportunity to experience the rush of performing stand up comedy. That's why I don't blame people for wanting to get into it and when they do- getting hooked on it...without a doubt the attention, the love, the sensation of adoration is addicting.

I really love to see it when my students get acquainted this mystical love in happening the first time they take the stage in a live audience show. It can be overwhelming...a rollercoster ride they can't wait to do again and I can't blame them.

That's why I take my comedy classes very seriously. I want my students to succeed and I want them to succeed in the correct way and so not to fool themselves. What does that mean?

It means being honest with themselves and doing the work. I demand they write their own bits from personal experiences and never NEVER take somebody else's material. Don't be a mimic of a famous or more creative comedian....doing that will set their developement back years. Once you savor the nector of thievery it is hard to lose the taste for it...so don't even start. I am quick in my dojo to let a student know if he's 'sampling' somebody else's jokes. It is forbidden.

When you think about it there is zero need for being a joke thief when the whole world is out there for you to write about...there is SO MANY defects and inconsistancies in everyday life to twist and turn and have fun with....why would anybody take a joke???! It's counter productive and it garnishes you a reputation that stays with you and retribution can follow you to the higher levels of the business (if you ever get that far).
Actually I feel sorry for dishonest comics (notice I don't call them comedians)...I know they want to experience what the big boys and girls feel but they just don't have it and should take their toys and go home. The best thing they could do is start over - do the work - come back and succeed on their own merit.

I think this is true of any business. Being honest and fair has not gone out of style has it? Is there any better feeling than getting that promotion and knowing it was bona fide??!

Always do the right thing kids it really is the class way....at least in the dojo class it is. ha! see what I did there??? lol

Have a nice day. :)

ur Uncle Hippie chill

www.twitter.com/chilichallis1
www.myspace.com/chilichallis
www.standupschool.com








No comments:

Post a Comment