Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Art?

What is art? I often call stand up an art form and comedians artists and have on a few occasions gotten an argument. I may remind those people that art is defined as a craft, a skill, creativity, expertise, ingenuity, cunning, obsession, etc etc etc on and on.

I believe that helping people laugh is an obsession of mine no doubt on and off the stage. Not that I am one of those dreadful comedians that is 'on' all the time. I find those artists annoying. I know they're just doing what they do but jeez save it for the show!

I think artists that use pictures have an advantage over comedians. The old saying 'a picture is worth a 1000 words' is apt for artists that draw, paint or use photography and film. The lowly comedian doesn't have that kind of time. We have to paint a picture and get a laugh using minimal words and expressions. There is no standing and appreciating our art form we have to something ready for consumption every 10 seconds or so. Phew!

Oscar Wilde said: "A work of art is the unique result of a unique temperament". I rest my case that attitude is a much needed part to the formula of a great spoken joke.

However this type of study and use of artful communication is not just for comedians anymore. The average person would be well off to take a comedy class or two (such as my stand up comedy dojo ..hint-hint lol) and learn how to shorten and clarify their thoughts as well as to how to use attitude and passion in speeches, pitches and everyday conversations.

The word is out on my class for this very reason and I have to believe this is why I get so many salespeople, teachers, policemen and others that are just there to experience the dojo, face a fear and learn to communicate using stand up comedy techniques that help them gain a perspective on their unique temperament.

Stand up is art. Effective communication is a unique result of getting in touch with your unique temperament and therefore an art form.

Go out and give somebody some passion and attitude! Take a comedy class somewhere.
Let art ring! ;)

Have a nice day. :)

ur Uncle Hippie chill

www.standupschool.com
www.twitter.com/chilichallis1
www.myspace.com/chilichallis

No comments:

Post a Comment